As we come to the end of 2023, we reflect on a selection of this year's most significant events internationally. Join us in remembering 2023 through this article.
1) The major Lucian Freud exhibition closed at the National Gallery, London, and opened at Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid
The Credit Suisse Exhibition, Lucian Freud: New Perspectives, was open from 1 October 2022 to 22 January 2023 at the National Gallery in London. The major retrospective, organized by the National Gallery and the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid, was later shown from 14 February 2023 to 18 June 2023.
Bridgeman Images represents the Lucian Freud's Estate, as well as the collection of the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza.
2) 27th January - The Walt Disney Company celebrates its 100th birthday
Founded in 1923, The Walt Disney Company succeeded in establishing a global enterprise adored by millions.
3) 12th April - The US Environmental Protection Agency proposes new regulations to reduce pollution and greenhouse gas emissions
This proposal included hoping to introduce a greater number of electric vehicles nationally.
4) 6th May - The Coronation of King Charles III
For the first time in 70 years a new monarch was crowned, signifying an accession.
5) 8th June - First Anniversary of Dame Paula Rego's Death. Bridgeman Images now represents her Estate.
Paula Rego (1935–2022), an artist of uncompromising vision and a peerless storyteller, brought immense psychological insight and imaginative power to the genre of figurative art. Bridgeman Images now represents Paula Rego's Estate.
6) 21st July - The Barbie movie is released
The first billion dollar movie directed solely by a woman, Greta Gerwig, was released this year.
7) 20th August - Spain wins the Women’s World Cup
Spain claim their first ever women's world cup win against England.
8) 17th August - The 100th birth anniversary of the acclaimed Venezuelan artist, Carlos Cruz-Diez
Bridgeman Images represents Carlos Cruz-Diez's Estate. Having constructed over 170 sculptures, this artist is renowned for his contributions to the theory and practice of color.
9) 12th September - A Stolen Van Gogh painting is finally returned after three years
After a 3-year long mystery, The Parsonage Garden at Nuenen in Spring by Vincent Van Gogh has finally reappeared within the art world.
10) 16th September - The V&A opens the Chanel exhibition
The Victoria and Albert Museum, London, celebrates Chanel's legacy and brand through a new show, Gabrielle Chanel. Fashion Manifesto, open until 25 February 2024.
11) 5th December - This year marks 10 years since the death of the world renowned activist Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid activist and politician who served as the first president of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. After a life dedicated to human rights, he passed away on 5 December 2013.
1) Paco Rabanne
February 1934 - February 2023. Spanish fashion designer and founder of the Paco Rabanne brand.
Bridgeman Images worked with Paco Rabanne for their FW23 fall collection, integrating the work of Salvador Dalí within their fashion. The image below shows Paco Rabanne on the left, beside Bridgeman Images' collaboration on the right.
2) Tina Turner
November 1939 - May 2023. Renowned singer and songwriter, often referred to as the Queen of Rock and Roll.
3) Tony Bennett
August 1926 - July 2023. Distinguished American Jazz and Pop singer, winning twenty Grammy Awards and two primetime Emmy awards.
4) Jane Birkin
December 1946 - July 2023. British and French actress and singer, who also inspired the creation of the iconic Hermès Birkin bag.
April 1932 - September 2023. Columbian Artist and Sculptor, well-known for his round human figures.
Main news from Bridgeman Images in 2023
1) Bridgeman Images proudly adds the Reuters Pictures Archive to its archive
This collaboration complements and broadens our current offering, adding 1 million more pictures spanning over 100 years, giving you unprecedented access to the images that shaped our world.
2) Royalty-Free Licensing Options
Bridgeman Images has introduced Royalty-Free licensing options. Discover all benefits, including affordability and flexibility of use.
3) Rights & Clearance services
Our new Rights & Clearance services are available to Bridgeman Images' clients worldwide, in partnership with Six Degrees & Fairplay. Our Rights & Clearance service offers a range of essential solutions designed to streamline your workflow and protect your projects:
- Content, Talent, and 3rd Party Clearances: Ensure all necessary clearances are obtained, including rights for talent and third-party assets.
- License Agreement Legal Services: Benefit from expert legal support to create and review license agreements tailored to your specific requirements.