The Wallace Collection was originally a part of the private collection of the Hertford-Wallace family. The vast majority of paintings and objects were acquired either in London or Paris between about 1800 and 1872. The ‘greatest collector’ was the 4th Marquess of Hertford (1800-1870), but both his father, the 3rd Marquess (1777-1870) and, in particular, his illegitimate son and heir, Sir Richard Wallace (1818-1890), made distinctive and extensive contributions. The collection is displayed in Hertford House. It is known above all for its magnificent French 18th century paintings, miniatures and works of art (furniture, Sevres porcelain, sculpture and gold boxes), which are unparalleled in quantity and quality outside Paris. The collections of old master and 19th century paintings, European and Oriental arms and armour, and Medieval and Renaissance works of art are also amongst the finest in the world.