The City of London Rowing Club was founded in 1860 by a group of men involved in the city rag trade. They soon began winning races and became increasingly successful, changed their name to the Thames Rowing Club and in 1879 moved into a spacious purpose built club house on Putney Embankment. They are now one of the leading rowing clubs in Britain. The images that form the Rowing Club’s collection are photographs and paintings of races, oarsmen and crew from throughout the club’s history, as well as photos of victorious British Olympic rowing teams.

Back to top