The National Gallery of Scotland, oldest of the four Galleries, is situated in the heart of Edinburgh on The Mound, between the ancient Old Town and the Georgian New Town. It is home to Scotland’s greatest collection of European paintings and sculpture from the Renaissance to Post-Impressionism and is one of the very finest galleries of its size in the world. The building was designed by William Henry Playfair (1790-1857). Its foundation stone was laid in 1850 by Prince Albert, and the Gallery opened to the public in 1859. It stands adjacent to its predecessor, the former Royal Institution, also designed by Playfair. Known today as the Royal Scottish Academy, the building is currently undergoing comprehensive restoration and refurbishment and will re-open as a major venue for exhibitions.